Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Is Coming!

This morning we have our first rain of the year. There is something about the sound of the drops on the roof and skylights that I just love. And the thought of the world being washed clean...

So I haven't posted a blog entry in almost two years! Yikes! Too much to write about in one blog, really... but maybe as a "new beginning" I will let my mind flow over the general ideas of these last two years.

I have experienced lots of changes in those two years. I just started to say that the biggest of those was my hysterectomy... but then thought better. Physically, yes, that has been a huge change. As far as a change in *me*, possibly yes, possibly no. I do think my anxiety lessened with the reduction in pain and, probably, anemia. But I am definitely not defined by my lack of a uterus.

I think the biggest change in *me* has been in my search for a definition for my religion/spirituality. Somewhere in the last few years I finally said the words "I don't consider myself to be a Christian." Despite a mostly Christian upbringing, I found conflict in myself in the worship of a man over other men. Not that Jesus wasn't an amazing teacher... he, like many before him and many since, was one who taught important points about being a good person to the world. But I don't see him as any more a son of God than you or me.

Ok, so I came to this great revelation and really felt the need to figure out what I do believe, if it isn't exactly all of that stuff that I was raised with. My search has lead me away from organized religion... nothing seems to really seem like a good fit for me. A lot of Eastern religious traditions hold a lot of meaning for me, but nothing from one in general. I have truly come to believe that the spirit... God if you will... is in all of us and around all of us. I have been trying to learn to meditate in order to find a more pure contact with that spirit inside of me... I don't do it well, but I'm working at it.

And as my corner of the world verges on springtime, I like to think of waking up from a hibernation. Every day I am trying to look for the beauty and meaning in the things around me, even in those things that might not normally be sources of positivity. And in this way, I strengthen the energy inside of me and send it back to the world in the most positive way that I can. Again, I'm not perfect... but I'm working on it!!

1 comment:

My Mercurial Nature said...

Have I mentioned that I giant puffy heart you?! I do!! (serious)